According to Harvard Health Publications, approximately 90 percent of people with cardiovascular disease have at least one risk factor that is controllable. Research indicates that problems like high cholesterol and high blood pressure can be managed and even eliminated with preventive measures.
The most important way to protect your heart? Living a healthy lifestyle, such as eating well, exercising regularly and avoiding smoking. Get additional benefits by supplementing a well-balanced diet with these vital nutrients.
1. Both EPA and DHA are types of omega-3 fatty acids found in fish oil that help keep blood triglyceride levels in check and lower elevated blood pressure. If you aren’t eating several servings of fatty fish each week, your diet may be lacking in important omega-3s. Supplement with fish oil from a trusted company like Nordic Naturals, which uses sustainable fishing methods and observes stringent guidelines to minimize exposure to common contaminants such as mercury.
2. CoQ10 is produced naturally in the human body, but low levels have been demonstrated in patients with heart conditions. Preliminary research suggests that supplementation with CoQ10 may be beneficial in the treatment of angina and elevated blood pressure. Our practitioners often recommend New Chapter CoQ10 because it is fermented and therefore more bioavailable in the body. Try pairing a CoQ10 supplement and D-ribose, both of which provide cellular energy. CoQ10 is especially important for people already taking statins.
3. Research over the past five years has shown promising evidence of resveratrol’s ability to increase life expectancy in animals. More recent studies have shown human benefits that include increased circulation and improved control of diabetes. While red wine has been shown to contain this compound, it would take far too many glasses of wine to reach levels used in research. Instead, supplement with Jarrow Formulas Resveratrol 100 capsules for antioxidant benefits like inhibiting LDL oxidation and maintaining the integrity of capillaries.
4. Garlic has been used for over a thousand years in Chinese medicine to help thin the blood. Many more recent scientific studies have demonstrated garlic’s ability to not only prevent but also reverse the development of atherosclerosis, or plaque build-up in arterial walls. A 2009 study led by the University of Connecticut School of Medicine found that while fresh garlic is most beneficial, processed garlic also retains some antioxidant properties.
5. Hawthorn extract has been used in the U.S. for cardiovascular purposes since the 1880s. Flavonoids are one of hawthorn extract’s most beneficial compounds, responsible for helping protect blood-vessel health and increasing blood flow. We often recommend supplementing with Hawthorn Supreme from Gaia Herbs, whose products are organically grown on a farm in North Carolina.
Pharmaca recommends consulting with your regular physician before beginning a supplement program. One of our practitioners can then discuss options, benefits, brands and dosage with you in our stores.