Most children, at some point, develop an earache that’s often caused by an infection in the ear canal. Concerned parents then call the child’s pediatrician, and if the doctor does find the child has an ear infection, they’ll usually prescribe an antibiotic medicine. You may, instead, want to try homeopathic remedies for ear infections.
But parents should take note: A 2010 study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) indicated that homeopathic remedies for ear infections, such as those found at Pharmaca, really help. Homeopathic treatments for ear infection are safe, effective and produce no side effects, making this approach to healing an appealing solution for worried parents.
An earlier study, published in 1997 in the International Journal of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, divided 131 children into two groups, receiving either homeopathic treatment or antibiotic treatment. The study showed that the children receiving homeopathic treatment recovered an average of one day faster than the children who received antibiotics. In yet another study in 2001, the British Homeopathic Journal compared homeopathic treatment for ear infection to placebo treatment in 230 kids with acute ear infection. Again, the children in the homeopathic group recovered more quickly—after only 12 hours, 72 percent of them recovered 2.4 times faster than the children receiving the placebo.
Homeopathic Treatments for Ear Infection
The research shows that homeopathic remedies can be hugely successful in treating ear infections in children, so before you get any prescriptions filled, you may want to consider these safer, effective options:
- Homeopathic ear drops— Comprised of many different natural ingredients that are used to safely and effectively relieve the pain often associated with an ear infection.
- Homeopathic earache tablets—Taken orally to relieve pain quickly and safely with no side effects.
- Belladonna—Derived from the plant of the same name. This remedy is used to treat a variety of ailments and is indicated for earaches causing severe pain, ear redness and fever.
- Hepar Sulphuris Calcareum—A mixture of finely powdered oyster shells and pure flowers that is indicated for severe earaches accompanied by a thick, colored discharge from the nose or ears.
- Pulsatilla—A combination of more than 30 species of herbaceous perennials that is helpful for earaches accompanied by a yellow or green discharge from the ears or nose.
As with all homeopathic remedies, please consult your doctor before administering them to children. And as always, you can always speak with a Pharmaca practitioner about dosing and administration questions.