If you or someone you love has struggled with acne, you know how frustrating this skin condition can be. What's more, some of the prescription medications prescribed to treat acne come with dangerous side effects. Remember Accutane? Introduced in the early 1980s and pulled from the market in 2009, Accutane, a then highly-popular medication prescribed for the treatment of acne, was found to cause very serious side effects including birth defects, inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) and suicidal feelings.
While there are still prescription medications available to treat acne, the side effects lead many to search for a more natural acne remedy. We found the perfect solution: A green smoothie that can help clear up acne and feed your skin the important nutrients it needs for optimal health.
Green Smoothies as a Natural Remedy for Acne
Green smoothies act as a natural acne remedy because they contain green leafy vegetables that are packed with the nutrients your body needs to cleanse and heal itself. Plus, blending these nutrients into a smoothie makes them easier for your body to absorb.
These are the nutrients in the below green smoothie that act as natural acne remedies:
- Chlorophyll: Helps eliminate toxins, improves cell metabolism and speeds healing
- Sulfur: Balances body's pH, fights infection and reduces inflammation
- Vitamin K: Improves skin tone, reduces acne scarring
- Vitamin A: Rebuilds tissue
Natural Acne Remedy Recipe
- Place 1 cup of your favorite green leafy vegetables in a blender (spinach, swiss chard and kale are easy to find)
- Add two cups of fresh or frozen fruit (berries, bananas, grapes and pineapples)
- Add enough water or juice to give the smoothie the thickness you desire, then blend until very smooth
- Pour and enjoy!
Look for more greenfoods at Pharmaca to support your skin health, or speak to a practitioner about other great natural acne remedies.