We love how the Clarisonic Skin Cleansing System makes our skin feel…And how its patented sonic technology gently removes six times more makeup and two times more dirt and oil than manual cleansing...And how it makes our skin care products absorb better….
But could there be new or better ways to use it? We talked to expert estheticians Jeanette Hickox in Novato and Nicole Mueller in Albuquerque, to get the low down on the best ways to use the Clarisonic.
1. Choose the best model for your needs.
- Mia is the simplest to use—one button, one speed. It’s compact and the most affordable.
- Mia 2 is compact, features two speeds, includes a travel case and comes in lots of fun colors.
- Aria has 3 speeds and is techno-friendly with its USB-enabled universal voltage charger, making it ideal for international travel.
- Plus has both face and body modes and brushes (for when you just can’t get enough!).
- Opal is a palm-sizes sonic serum-infusion device for the eye area that reduces the appearance of lines and wrinkles.
2. Select the right brush head.
- Brush Heads come in Delicate, Sensitive, Normal, Acne, Deep Pore and Body versions. Sensitive is a good one to start with, but a Pharmaca esthetician can guide you to your best choice.
- We don’t share toothbrushes, so don’t share your Clarisonic brush head. Go ahead and share the device, but make sure everybody gets their own brush.
- Break out a fresh new brush head every three months.
3. Use the right cleanser for your skin type.
It’s best to use a cream-based cleanser to remove oil-based makeup, and a gel cleanser for water-based makeup. Avoid clay cleansers, as the clay can get embedded in your pores if you’re not careful. Here are some customer and esthetician favorites:
- Normal skin: DeVita’s Aloe Vera Moisture Cleanser is lightweight, refreshing and hydrating. Astara’s Botanical Cleansing Gel replenishes the skin with citrus oils and has a clean, fresh scent.
- Mature or dry skin: Sanitas’ Lactic Cleaner hydrates, refines, brightens and stimulates collagen production.
- Oily or acne prone skin: evanhealy’s Tea Tree Gel Cleanser detoxifies and purifies pores.
4. Give yourself a healthy glow.
The Clarisonic does more than just clean. The sonic technology actually improves your skin’s circulation by bringing blood flow to the surface. It provides a gentle lymphatic massage, too. But be sure to let the device do the work—there’s no need to press hard. Just let it gently glide across the skin in a circular motion.
5. Exfoliate like a pro.
While the Clarisonic cleans the skin by massaging open the pores and whisking out dirt, it can also be a great exfoliation device, too. Using a scrub with smooth, round exfoliating beads is the key (never use those with rough salt, sand, sugar or ground shells).
- Sanitas Lemon Cream Scrub gently cleanses and exfoliates with rounded silica crystals, while hyaluronic acid hydrates and softens skin.
- Comfort Zone Sacred Nature Face & Body Gommage exfoliates in a unique way: Apply it to dry skin, and use a dry Clarisonic brush to rub off dead skin cells and give you baby-soft skin.
- DeVita Gentle Aloe Facial Scrub removes dry surface cells with healing goldenseal, aloe and 100 percent pure, round jojoba beads.
6. Man up.
The Clarisonic’s techno-vibe appeals to men, too. Of course it’s a superior cleaning device, but it also can provide a closer, more comfortable shave and reduce the incidence of razor irritation and rash. Use it with a gentle shaving gel or cream like Dr. Bonner’s Shaving Gel (try the invigorating Lemongrass Lime scent) or Zia Men Hydra Shave Cream. The brush motion lifts the scruff to seriously prep the beard for a close shave.
Find your perfect Clarisonic at Pharmaca today!