Canker sores are painful, open sores in the mouth that are white or yellow and surrounded by a bright red area. The exact cause of canker sores is not known, but stress and tissue injuries have been known to lead to the development of these often-embarrassing sores. A niacin deficiency may also contribute to the eruption of canker sores. Treatment for canker sores and natural canker sore remedies are available Pharmaca.
There are two types of canker sores:
- Simple canker sores: May appear three or four times per year and last up to a week, typically. Simple canker sores are most often suffered by people ages 10-20.
- Complex canker sores: Less common and occur more often in people who have chronic canker sore outbreaks.
There are some warning signs of canker sores:
- A tingling or burning sensation will occur prior to the appearance of the canker sore.
- Evident sores inside your mouth, including on the tongue, soft palate or inside of the cheeks.
- Sores that are round, white, or gray and with a red border.
- In severe cases, you may experience fever, swollen lymph nodes and lethargy.
A cold sore, on the other hand, is the common name for Herpes Labialis, a disease caused by infection of the mouth due to Herpes Simplex 1 Virus Type 1. Herpes Simplex 2 is more commonly referred to as genital herpes.
A cold sore outbreak typically involves:
- A rash or skin lesions around the lips, mouth and gums
- Development of small, fluid-filled blisters
- Raised, red, painful blisters
- Broken and oozing blisters
- Yellow crust that sloughs off to reveal healing skin underneath
There are many natural canker sore remedies available at Pharmaca; if you’re suffering from one, check out our entire line of treatment for canker sore options now!